Tuesday, January 6, 2009

To Become a Jedi

The Rabbit got a light sabre for Christmas. A you-beaut, flash-as-Michael-Jackson light sabre with removable parts and coloured discs to change the blade colour and rearrange the order of the pieces to create an exact replica of whichever Star Wars hero he wants to "be" today.


It's also really useful for beating up your brothers, prodding them in the car, belting them over the head and generally wreaking havoc. And the Rabbit discovered ALL these uses within minutes of putting it together.


We tried calmly redirecting him, confiscating the weapon, arguing over whose idea it was to give him a weapon in the first place, helping him create imaginary foes to battle .............. but apparently none of our suggestions were as much fun as the Rabbit's ideas.


And so, finally, exasperated and completely over his constant misuse of this toy, we sat him down and had a good, long chat. I did the talking and the Rooster nodded approvingly beside me.


I told the Rabbit all about jedis, and how they do not receive their light sabres until they are properly trained. How a jedi only ever uses his light sabre for good, and how he nevers hurts those on his own team. I taught him that his brothers were on his team, and that meant he was not to hurt them. That the boys were all jedis, and they were to all work togther to battle as a team and save the day.

I went into great detail about jedis, training, jedi etiquette, respect, trust and Star Wars in general.


At this point I should mention that it's been a while since I last saw Star Wars. I used to watch "The Empire Strikes Back" as a kid, over and over on the VCR. And I think I saw the first of the newer movies when they were released more recently - but I actually have no understanding of the storyline or characters.


I do know, however, that Annikin starts off good and is trained to be a jedi, and then turns bad. And as the Rabbit especially likes to be Annikin, I pounced on this character as a final analogy of what happens to one who misuses his powers, training and weapons.


"Think about Annikin, Rabbit" I gently reminded him "He did all his training and learnt all about being a jedi. He worked hard to earn his light sabre, but then he did the wrong thing. He hurt people with his light sabre, and he got into trouble because of what he did."


And I turned to the Rooster, who was looking a little suprised that I'd taken this route, but was nodding in agreement nonetheless. All I needed was for the Rooster to back me up and complete this lesson and we'd be done - a suitable ending to this story, something about Annikin having his light sabre taken away forever, and our little boy would understand.


"Let's ask Dad about it Rabbit.

When Annikin did the wrong thing with his light sabre, what happened to him? What did they do?"


The Rooster looked the Rabbit square in the eyes, paused for a moment and then told him clearly :

"Obi Wan took his own light sabre and cut off Annikin's arms and legs.

And I'm Obi Wan."



I definitely need to know the plot and storylines of any movies I attempt to use as metaphors for lessons for my children in the future.

Or I need to stop suggesting the Rooster finishes a moral tale I started!


The Rabbit can also be suprisingly gentle and loving with his younger siblings.


3 comments:

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

Hahahaha. Love it!

I'd not be letting Obi Wan finish the stories anymore,lol.

Sue said...

*snort*

Classic!

Anonymous said...

But did it work??

Heheeheehehe :P