Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Where it all begins .........



The Rooster and I have lately found ourselves recalling things we've said to one of the kids, that we'd never imagined ourselves saying.
Most recently, it was "Don't wipe your boogers on the baby".

Loading our car - hereafterknown as the People Mover : Definitely NOT a Bus (the Rooster has iss-ews with being under 30, married with 5 kids and needing to drive a *ahem* bus!)- takes some time and effort. With one in a booster, 2 in full harnasses and one in a reverse facing seat, there's a lot of buckling to be done, and much arguing to be had.
I usually start with the baby - because he argues the least and seems quite entertained by the tomfoolery that goes on as I struggle to strap everyone else in.

So I take Boombah out to the car and buckle him in. I pass the Rabbit (5 years old) on my way back into the house and ask him to get into his seat, while I continue on and track down another opponent to carry and restrain. As I climb into the People Mover : Definitely NOT a Bus I notice the Rabbit sitting very calmly and quietly in his seat.

Which can mean one of 2 things - either OUR Rabbit has been abducted by aliens and replaced by an imposter who does not know how the Rabbit behaves. Or the Rabbit has done something he should not have done.
The Rabbit and his innocent look!



I go for Option 2, and start scanning the car for signs of sabotage.
Nothing.
Radio volume is not secretly turned up to deafening levels.
Blinkers, widnscreens wipers and hazard lights are not all switched on so when I turn the key all hell breaks loose while I try to work out which to turn off first.
Nothing has been done to any sibling's seat to antagonise them and thus innocently start yet another epic Car Wars battle.
Nothing.

As I begin to contemplate that perhaps there really IS life form out there and how likely it is that they HAVE taken the Rabbit for experimentation (and how quickly they will realise their mistake in human selection and hurry to send him back where he came from!) I gaze lovingly at my youngest.

Still strapped in his car seat, snuggled under a bunny rug and quietly watching me move around him. My eyes drink him for a short while - cute little sock-ed up toes poking out the end of his blanket. Chubby little fists clenched and being gently sucked. Bright blue eyes watching around him.

And a giant green booger planted in the center of his forehead.

Fancy marring this face !




And so it begins ............. after moving into detective mode and determining who was guilty (the Rabbit)and how to make him admit his guilt, (the age old - "If you tell me the truth you won't be in trouble. If you lie, you will be in trouble for lying AND for doing it. At 5, the rabbit has not yet worked out the endless lack of logic in such a threat and I plan to keep it that way for as long as possible!) I find myself giving a lecture on why we don't wipe boogers on the baby.

While the Rooster silently rolls on the ground behind me in hysterics.

No comments: